Since I'm in Paris until June and highly opinionated (or overly observant), I thought I'd do some weekly post sharing my thoughts and some interesting highlights. By which I mean, I'm going to complain about how weird/inconvenient living here is. So, here is this week's list:
- Apparently falling in love is a valid excuse for missing a deadline, not doing a particular piece of work, or being late.
- Apparently, you cannot view any transactions on your bank account that happened more than 45 days ago.
- The library of the university I attend has a lower limit on the number of books you’re allowed to borrow, a shorter loan time, and a poorer selection than the Paris public libraries. Deduce what you will about the education system.
- To learn what my grade is, I can't look it up online. I have to go to the campus of the university, find a particular hallway in a particular building, and look for my grade posted on the wall. Sometimes it's there.
- The book I bought for one of my classes yesterday – a novel- cost the same amount of money as a coffee. Another book I bought – a Moliere play – costs half as much as said coffee. Um. Priorities?
- Something is always broken. The elevator, the credit card machine, the metro, the RER, the ATM, the internet…..
- I went out to lunch with a dozen French people today. They said that two bottles of wine would be “too much.” Wait…what?